Forms and Functions
Mondays starting July 23rd and ending September 17th (no class on Labor Day), 7:00pm-10:00pm (8 weeks)
Instructor: Paul Vaillancourt
Class size: Limited to 14 students to ensure everyone gets individual attention and stage time.
Location: Studio LOL
Parking: Lot in the back off Wilkinson Ave. and street parking out front on Moorpark St.
Long form improv isn’t just the Montage or the Harold. When we learn and perform different forms it strengthens us as improvisers and artists. Each form demands something different from us and we bring a different part of ourselves to it. In this class, master instructor Paul Vaillancourt will lead you through a sampling of his favorite forms: The Slacker, The Armando (as originally conceived and taught by Del Close), The Monoscene, The Living Room/The Road Trip and The Heritage Deconstruction (the Deconstruction as originally conceived and taught by Del Close) – and maybe a bonus or two thrown in to boot.
How can the class cover so many forms? Paul will show you that many of these forms have similar and overlapping elements, and by learning them in sequence, he’ll teach you how to stack skill on skill for a better understanding of each form.
This class will culminate with a multi week run of shows at Revolution Theater, where students will get to perform the forms they’ve been working on.
Per the prerequisite, this class assumes a good level of comfort with improv and students must be familiar with improvising relationship-based, game driven, two-person scenes.
- If you have been banging your head against the Harold for a while and you’re looking for something new or a way to open up your Harold/long form work – this is the class for you.
- If you were an iO West student about to go into level 5 or 5B – this is the class for you.
- If you’re an improv nerd and love learning everything about improv that you can – this is the class for you.
- If you’re thinking about creating your own long form and feel like you want to be inspired by what’s already out there – this is the class for you.
- If you graduated from a training program but feel like there is still more to learn – this is the class for you.
- If you’re that person that was “on a Harold team for a while and then just kinda stopped and always wanted to/meant to get back to it” – this is the class for you.